Information

New products

Specials

Our store

Our store

The Burgins Perfumery range is second to none, with thousands of perfume products in stock. We also offer in-house Fragrance specialists who can advise on the right perfumes, scents or body products.

Woods of Windsor

The Woods of Windsor Story

The origin of the Woods of Windsor luxury bath, body & homes brand comes from a small apothecary located in the shadow of Windsor as far back as 1770. This local apothecary served not only the townsfolk of Windsor, but also the Royal family and its distinguished visitors.

In 1970 Roger and Kathleen Knowles acquired t...

The Woods of Windsor Story

The origin of the Woods of Windsor luxury bath, body & homes brand comes from a small apothecary located in the shadow of Windsor as far back as 1770. This local apothecary served not only the townsfolk of Windsor, but also the Royal family and its distinguished visitors.

In 1970 Roger and Kathleen Knowles acquired the run-down pharmacy, then known as the Woods pharmacy. Whilst clearing out two centuries of debris, which had been allowed to accumulate by previous managements, they discovered a treasure trove of old recipe and prescription books and medical artefacts which dated all the way back to the founding of the business. Many of the books contained recipes for perfumery products, which had been associated with the business and sold to the residents of Windsor over the years. This very special revelation motivated Roger and Kathleen to create a range of perfumery and toiletry products using these original formularies.

In 1971 they successfully launched a beautiful range of perfumery products, including pot pourri and china pomanders using lavender flowers and rosebuds, inspired by the original formulations, and presented in a way which reflected the historical environment in which they had been originally created. They sold the range from a small shop at the rear of the premises, which was previously used as a store room. By 1974 they were selling their products to high-end London retailers and department stores including Harrods and Liberty's.

In 1976 Woods of Windsor launched their first commercial room fragrance - Parfum d'ambience and by 1978 introduced their first commercial drawer liners.
In 1981, to expand the offering further, Woods of Windsor launched their gentlemen's collection which was inspired by a formulation that was originally used to fragrance Spanish leather. An 1850 etching of Windsor castle was used for the design of the logo on the packaging to reinforce the brand's heritage. By 1983 Woods of Windsor won the Queen's award for Export.

The perfumery business was doing so well that the Knowles' decided to sell the pharmacy and concentrate solely on their best performing business. They kept the small perfumery shop and the remainder of the building in which to trade. By 1984 they reacquired the Woods of Windsor pharmacy and converted it into a very stylish Woods of Windsor flagship shop selling the finest bath, body and homes products. By 1985 the Woods of Windsor business was exported to 40 countries worldwide and by 1989 they won another Queen's award for Export. After achieving great success throughout the 1990s, the Knowles' sold the business to a management buyout in 2000.

More

Woods of Windsor There are no products in this category.